Thursday, April 01, 2010

Tales of the River Bank

It was only when we got to the river at Clarence Town for yet another B-B-Que that I realised just how many rivers we have been to in our part of the world. There are little ones, just trickling down from the hills, ones that run through towns just like Clarence Town and bigger ones that run through cities like Newcastle and Raymond Terrace, plenty of activities on all of them. As it was a very, and I mean a very hot, sticky day, a day at the riverside was just the thing to keep us cool.


John is a great Barbie cook and I leave him to get everything going for lunch, I have set the table so I can just relax under the shade away from the very hot sun, just as I feel my eyelids getting heavier and feeling drowsy I look up and espy a man carrying a canoe...Hold on a minute, shouldn't that be two men carrying a canoe, Blooming heck he is strong, I must be dreaming,

But no, he is just well hidden which is a miracle really as he turns out to be quite a tall chap......

as you can see, and really just how many canoes can you take on the water when there only two of you, perhaps they just wanted to be seen and white was not their colour after all.
One of my very favourite childhood books is The Wind in the Willows and all the tales of
Mole, Ratty, Badger and Toad, they spend such a lot of time on and by the river. In their picnic basket they have such delights as coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssandwichespottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesoda and other wonderous delights, they see Mayflies and ducks a dabbling and their river has green turf sloped down to the waters edge.........

a little bit like this maybe

Hang on and I will get just a little closer.... aaaaaaaaand YEP THIS IS IT.
My very own duck a dabbling


and a Mayfly,
'Hang on a minute, I am awake and not dreaming am I'. It seems a little surreal and maybe I am really in the land of nod......but no I hear shouting, loads of screeching and lots of laughter.....
Oh heck now I am in Swallows and Amazons........
Only kidding, these lads are having a ball on the swing hanging from the bridge. Now I know it is not the Ikari bridge in Mostar, Bosnia where they jump into the water, nor is it the Clavadistas of La Quebrada in Acapulco Mexico where they jump off a cliff into the sea below, but they did jump in....

From there,
Now they could be trying for a job working on high rise buildings or even practising for the Sydney Bridge Walk but my guess is they just want some fun and the way to get it is to jump.

Not very stylish, but we give him Seven points for effort,


Nope we have changed our minds, it is now a nine due to the straight alignment of the torso.
Bravo young man.
Having enjoyed a very entertaining afternoon we head out to the Farmshop in the search of goodies, passing by a farm where even the cows know how to have a good time and keep cool,
Take it away ladies.......

John and I wish everyone a Happy Easter and hope you enjoy your Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns.













1 comment:

Jane and Chris said...

I do hope the boys' mothers didn't know what they were up to. That jump looks about 25/30 feet!
Any belly flops and it would have been a trip to emergency!
Love Jane