For those who are not familiar with this tradition it goes as follows......Guy Fawkes and The Gunpowder Plot.......Born on 13th April 1570, Guy was a member of the English Roman Catholic revolutionaries who planned to carry out the Gunpowder Plot in 1605. The aim was to blow up the House of Lords at the State Opening of Parliament, killing James 1st of England, his family and most of the aristocracy. Caught in the cellars, he was tortured and being found guilty, both he and a number of others implicated in the plot were hanged, drawn and quartered. Guy Fawkes Night (AKA Bonfire night) is an annual event on the evening of Nov 5th, celebrating the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot, where an effigy of Guy Fawkes is burnt on a bonfire.
In keeping with this tradition, John and I have Jacket Potatoes, sausages/onions and this year I thought I would make the rolls and some Chelsea Buns.

The story of Chelsea Buns originated at THE OLD CHELSEA BUN HOUSE, in Pimlico Road in London, which burnt down in 1839. As John is now a master at the Great British Banger, I thought I had better try to make some rolls. Not too bad, but we have not tasted them yet!









2 comments:
The Chelsea buns and rolls look "F.A.B.,Parker".
Remember how it always used to rain on Bonfire Night in England? No rain here today, it is 18C and sunny, but no Bonfire meal for us because Chris is in Montreal until 10pm tonight. Enjoy yours!
Love Jane xxx
Everything looks fab. You seem to be still enjoying it - keep it up.
For your info, we have a new blog (couldn't remember the password for the other one - doh!) The website address is http://www.theboughtonclan.blogspot.com/.
Take care - thinking of you.
Glyn & Co.
Post a Comment