Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tomaree Headland Walk

We had been waiting for some good weather so we could walk up Tomaree Hill, and looking at the weather forecast we decided to go for it, now do not be deceived by the cloudless picture, it was soooooo windy and that wind was pretty cool, we had a barbie before we attempted the hill and I have never known us eat so quickly to make sure our food stayed warm.


Plenty of walkways, grids and stairs to climb before we reached the top. It was at this point I realised at just how unfit I had become, I ached in places I will not mention, in fact I had not even realised that you could actually ache in those places.

More damn steps, we even met a woman who had run to the top and was on her way down, how I hate those people.

But to be honest the pain was worth it just for the views of Shoal Bay, even though it was cool in the wind a couple of brave people were in the water swimming, I on the other hand will not venture in the water unless it feels as if a hot tap has been left on, wimpish I know but I HATE cold water of any description, I even struggle to eat an ice-lolly.

At the half way point I had to stop for a breather and just found this incredible tree and claim it as mine. By the way I did not start out wearing my black Rash vest, I had been wearing a very nice floaty grey blouse but due to me being so clumsy at the barbie I had lent on the BBQ and got covered in grease, thank goodness we always keep our swimming gear in the boot of the car. Anyway, I digress........
John not to be outdone strikes a manly pose against MY tree. It seems obvious to me that as he can get his leg up so high on the tree trunk that it is only me feeling the pain!


The views just got better the higher we went, due to storms further North the sea was a foaming mass and froth had washed up on the beach.

Once at the top we were amused to see all these locks, being nosy, no I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT EITHER, I got down to see what was on them, it appears that people etch inscriptions of their loved ones to each lock and in their memory put them onto the railings. Wiping away a tear we moved on,
to look out at the lighthouse, you can walk out to see it and the ruined cottages if you cross

This causeway..... not for the faint hearted as the water comes over the spit very quickly and the last thing you would want is to be stranded on the lighthouse side,

It gets really windy up this side of the hill, the trees are bent to make a lovely walkway through to the gun placements



When we had finished the walk I went to the beach to see just how bad the sea was


It looked pretty calm by the time we had got off the hill but people had been sat on the beach watching the waves crash onto the shore.


On the way home we decided to go through Industrial Newcastle to see how many ships were being loaded with black gold, most of the ships in dock are from Asia.
The cranes are huge and they are dotted along the edge of the docks


One of the many diggers
This should make most little boys smile, a huge working digger, pouring out coal ready to be transported by conveyor belt and then loaded onto ships, a thriving business that helps Australian workers, families and economy.




















2 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I have never seen lock memorials before. Is it for people who have died generally, or those who used to like the walk?
There seems to be a haze in all of the pictures...what's that?
And final question..was it any easier going back?
Love Jane xxx

The Gramps said...

Not quite sure why the locks were there either, no indication as to why the locks had names and dates on, one of lifes mysteries I guess. There was a haze all day, could have been humidity, it was extremely close despite the wind. Coming down.......just as hard as the path was very steep, John was ahead of me by a long way, I tried to do baby steps to stop from falling over, I looked a right idiot too.

Love Linda xx