Thursday, November 04, 2010

Changing views

John and I had a conversation about being in Australia for over three years and it got me thinking of how I had changed my outlook on certain things. When we first arrived here I was amazed at just how different it was, the sunshine certainly helped as I am not into cold, damp weather and as much as I adore the snow and frost, (lets be honest Coventry, my home town just does not get any decent snow) I also love the hot, bright sunny days here. You can go to the beach, paddle or swim as long as you love big waves, body board, surf or just lay on the sand and read or doze, you can have a barbie when you feel hungry or grab a picnic table, wander through the park and feel like you are on holiday. Pure magic.

I love the sea but also the countryside, here lies a problem in itself, do we live at either or in between so we can go wherever we please when the mood takes us, it took me a while to get used to little hamlets, spread for miles with wooden houses, tin roofs and huge water butts to provide your everyday usage, no town water here, and when there are bush fires those water butts are so useful.
In the middle of a hamlet these old homesteads are the norm, not your row upon row of suburban houses here, it took a while but I now found it quite normal.
What I don't like and will never get used too is the size of the spiders, they get into your car, your home, your clothes and shoes, now it is the normal practice to check out each shoe before you put it on, would never have thought of that in Coventry.


When you go for a walk it is great to see all sorts of weird and wonderful fungi, guess this is my favourite, not a clue as to what it is but colourful all the same. Will not be putting it in my cooking just in case.........

We have lived in Cornwall, UK. and Sardinia and often the sheep used to get out, and in Cornwall the cows used to wander down the country lanes, but this one just walked out of one field and into another, must have been visiting a lady friend.


The ever hard working Life-guards do a marvelous job here, they save people from drowning, check the water for sharks, life -save on the beach when people over stay in the sun and keep the beach a safe place to go to. Thank You for being there for everyone.


The beach is a play ground whatever the weather and some of the more hardy amongst us go out come rain, shine or in this case very strong winds. You can sail, windsurf, swim, fish...if you must......

or for those who remember 'Hawaii 5 O' 'Book him Danno' you can do this mean trick. I love it, what a way to get around. Imagine it ' Just popping out to the shops love'
Cracks me up every time.
Anyone got a spare tray I can use......... or an old ironing board........not fussy.
' Wait for me.........my stick is all soggy and it is weighing me down' Humans always in a rush.

Of course you can vary your day, go to the beach, walk through the wood and hey presto a river.
Never a dull moment and you can never be sure as to what is around the next corner.
I adore grapefruit, red, white, or pink, don't care as long as it can be eaten, day, night, breakfast, brunch, mid morning munch, I love it. Imagine my delight when we went to have lunch at a friends house and he had a tree, oh I have seen lemons and oranges but to see my first grapefruit tree, pick that globe of heaven was indeed heaven on a plate, well dish actually but does not sound quite so poetic. Boooooootiful.

Of course being so close to Sydney was always an excuse to get on the train into the city and get to see the bridge or Coat hangar as it is affectionately called here, you get off the train and there it is in all its glory along with the other famous icon.....

It still gives me a thrill to see them both. The tiles on the Opera house are a complete disappointment though, rather like a ladies toilet block, but lets not go there and shatter the illusion.


Then of course are all the National Parks, there are plenty to go to, go walk about and you never know what you can find, as long as it has rained you will hear it before you see it
Look out forever and see the blue haze in the heat.......

This was our first sand storm, we were warned to stay indoors and to block up any gaps to stop the sand from getting in, wow, what a mess we all had, took days to clean up and a couple of minutes outside was enough to leave you gasping for air, certainly different from the fog we used to get in the UK.


Back at the beach and the previous days storm left the sea pounding against the shore, the more hardy folk saw this as a challenge to get out on the water and test their skills, we wimps just watched in awe.
Other than the usual wildlife we have seen often, we were amused to see this little creature going across the road, at least he knows his Green Cross Code as he did wait until we had stopped before crossing.
So here we are at Warners bay, our home for the last couple of years, it is a joy to be able to walk less than 5 minutes down the road to see this.

Yes I think I like it..............Would I recommend it...Of course....and if you come, let me know and I will put the kettle on.





















3 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

OK! You are now responsible for hot day pics, flower pics, and running water pics to console all of us in the northern hemisphere who are rushing headlong in to winter (whether we like it or not). I will return the favour and send you snow pics.
Deal?
Love Jane xxx

The Gramps said...

For every snow picture I will return the favour with sun, flower, water. Done deal.
Bring it on.

Love Linda xxx

Indigo said...

I don't know how I stumbled upon your lovely blog, maybe it was the interesting title. Photos began to look very familiar to me. Blue Water Pizza at Queens Wharf where both my kids have worked in the mid 1990's, and finally you mentioned Warners Bay ... now I'm homesick. I lived there for thirteen years until a move south four years ago to a new life in the country . I still miss those sunsets over the lake. Thanks for the memories! I'll enjoy visiting your blog regularly in future.